A phone that caught fire all of a sudden at the Mayde Creek Junior High caused the full evacuation of the building, with a total of 10 students hospitalized for smoke inhalation.
While the brand and the model of the phone that caused the smoke were not disclosed, some describe the incident as a “phone battery explosion,” which may have been triggered by students.
“Some kids were like, smashing their phones and they had like, a battery pack. And then they like, smashed it and it exploded…and they got like, asthma attacks,” a seventh-grader was quoted as saying by Houston Chronicle. But according to the fire department, there is no evidence that someone caused the explosion on purpose.